Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mmmmmm...Bagels!!!

As I was whiling away some time on Pinterest the other day, I bumped into a recipe for New York Style Bagels.  I'm not normally interested in making yeast raised products due to the fact that I cannot seem to get a recipe to work.  I can't tell you how many loaves of bread I've ruined!  Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bagels you get at Safeway - crusty outside and chewy and soft inside.  What's not to love with that and why on earth would I want to even bother doing this when I can get perfect bagels at the store?

But for some reason, I felt the need to give this recipe a shot.  Boy am I glad I did, too!  Crusty, chewy, tender, great bread flavor.  This are on the "definitely doing this again" list!


New York Bagels

This recipe makes 12 bagels
Ingredients
Water
1 cup
Salt
1 tsp
Sugar
2 TBSP
Bread Flour
3 cups
Active Dry Yeast
2+1/4 tsp
Directions
Baker's Note: If an egg bagel is preferred, reduced water to 3/4 cup and add 1 egg at room temperature.
 
Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, salt and sugar. Heat water to 120º to 130º F.

Standard Mixer Method
Combine dry mixture and water in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Rising, Shaping, and Baking
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 4 parts and each part into 3 pieces. On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball. Punch a hole in the center with a finger. Pull dough gently to make a 1 to 2-inch hole. Heat 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons sugar to boiling. Place a few bagels at a time in boiling water. Simmer 3 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place on a greased cookie sheets. Brush tops with 1 slightly beaten egg white; sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Bake in preheated 375º F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets; cool.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for sharing recipes. I found you on TGIF linky and started following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ,Shelley! Hope you find something that you like!

    ReplyDelete