Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homemade Smoked Goodness Pizza

I'm not sure what's gotten into us around here but we have decided that we need to make our own pizza.  This just isn't something we usually do as we really enjoy a good Papa Murphy's  Cowboy pizza, but something moved us and away we went.

I headed to Pinterest to drum up a good crust recipe.  An hour of searching led me to this one, a Tarte Flambee. After looking at the recipe and realizing that I had to let it sit overnight, I decided to just run to the store and grab something easy for dinner. 

When I got to the store, I decided to grab some yeast so I could make the dough eventually.  I ran across a package of  Fleischmanns Pizza Crust Yeast with no rising, etc.  Sounded like a good deal to me!  It was back on for dinner!  I grabbed the things the girls wanted (pineapple, Canadian bacon, black olives) and what we wanted (heads of garlic, smoked cheddar cheese, mushrooms) and some sauce and mozzarella. 

The pizza itself is quick to bake and easy to assemble, but the prep work for the Smoked Goodness pizza was pretty darn time-consuming.

On Christmas day, Steve smoked slabs of onions to go with dinner since he had the smoker going to make smoked salmon.  Those bad boys had a date with my pizza!


I used the recipe on the back of the yeast package OR you could just use a Boboli crust if you're a cheater. I par-baked the crust for about 8 minutes because we wanted a little bit crispy crust.**

Grab a whole head of garlic and cut off the top. Place in a small baking dish, top with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so, until the cloves are soft when squeezed. Let cool. When cooled, squeeze the cloves out of the head into a dish. Mash with a fork and add olive oil, salt and pepper to season.

Cook 5 slices of bacon (that's all I had or it would've been more) and cut into pieces.

Slice up as many mushrooms as you want on your pizza.

Shred up some mozzarella and smoked cheddar.

Pizza sauce. You can make your own or you can pop open a jar of Ragu pizza sauce.

Okay, now you're ready to assemble:
Spread mashed garlic onto par-baked crust. Top with a couple of tablespoons of pizza sauce, or more, depending on what you're hungry for. I thought it was a shame to cover all that amazing garlic goodness with tomato sauce so I just did a little bit of sauce.
Top with a layer of cheese, then bacon, onion, and mushrooms. Top with a thin layer of mozzarella then a layer of smoked cheddar.

Bake for about 10 more minutes. I like my crust crispy and my cheese starting to brown.

The crust on the pack of yeast made at least a 14" pizza for Steve and I and the same for the girls, although it was a pretty rustic looking thing. I baked it on my Pampered Chef pizza stone, too, so it got good and done.

The flavor combinations were AMAZING!  The roasted garlic plus the smoked onion, smoky bacon, and smoked cheddar were SO good. 

Mangia!

**NOTE
I didn't like the quick crust.  It was VERY easy but it was also pretty tasteless and not at all what we were looking for in a crust.  I want some chew and a good bite.  I don't want thick or gummy.  Definitely going with the tarte flambee recipe next time.  (Headed to the kitchen now to make the dough for tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment