Sunday, December 9, 2012

Homecoming!

Several weeks ago I got a call from my son asking if he could move back with us.  He's been living with his dad across the country since 2006, so my immediate reaction was YES!!!

He arrived on the 23rd and I of course let him pick his dinner of choice.  It was a gorgeous day so grilling would have been perfect! steaks? chicken?  ribs? Anything you want, bub! 

I should have known what his choice would be but was surprised when he answered "Goulash, Mom."

YES!! That old family friend.  Full of comfort and good memories of growing up and lots of carb-y, meaty goodness!  Also did some fresh green beans, steamed (and seriously, WHY are fresh green beans $3/lb in JULY?  Shouldn't they be in season?), and some Texas Toast garlic bread.

It's always good to have my boy young man home again!

I got a little over-zealous with the goulash, making enough for at least two entire meals for 5 people.  In our house, that means one meal and many lunches/breakfasts/late night snacks.

Goulash
Serves~12

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lb bag macaroni (I think it was only a lb but it said 11 servings)
1 medium onion, small diced
2-28 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cans of water
3 Tbsp tomato paste
Garlic salt and powder, to taste
Pepper to taste

Brown ground beef and onion in dutch oven.  Season with garlics and pepper.  Stir in macaroni, tomatoes and tomato paste and water.  Let cook until macaroni is cooked to desired doneness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment